Monday, January 5, 2009

Getting the Most for Your Money

Like most guys out there who get married, I got out on a budget for fishing. So I found myself saving all the money I could when I'm out fishing. So below is a list of things you may or may not already due that can save you a few bucks along the way. In this post I'll be talking about soft plastics.


Get the most out of your baits. I see fisherman all the time using soft plastics that just change their bait because they got a bite or caught a fish. Unless the bait is just completely destroyed or ripped in half, this really is not necessary. I understand that in a tournament situation you need every edge against your competitors. Ok, so change your baits out as much as you want then, but for fun days out on the water use that sucker till it can't be used anymore.


Lets take for example the senko. The average price for these per pack is about 5-7 dollars. So if your going through packs and packs of these things start asking yourself, "do I really need to be changing baits all the time". I use my senko's until they wont stay on the hook anymore. I don't miss bites and I still catch fish.


So how do you make the life of your bait last longer? Here are a few little tips to make your soft plastic baits go a little farther.



1. Shrink Tubing



Shrink tubing can be an excellent way to make your senkos last a lot longer. Slide the shrink tubing over your bait, heat it up so that the tubing is snug against the bait, then slide your hook right under the tubing so that it does not Peirce the bait. You will find that the bait last 2-3 times longer than normal.


2. A Good Keep


Use dart heads or jig heads with a good keep on them. This will keep your bait positioned snugly on the hook so that the baits don't fall off. Hooks are one place not to cut corners. Make sure to buy one that has a good keep.



3. Super Glue


I always keep a good old bottle of super glue with me. This has so many purposes to it. It can be used to glue your baits to the jig head or dart head, secure knots in your braided line, or repair torn soft plastic baits. There are a lot of different types out there, I use mend-it.



4. Boil Your Baits

Some baits can be referbed to new by just simply taking them home and boiling them. It will ofter fill in all the fine holes made by your hooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment